Thursday, November 25, 2010

Happy Thanksgiving, everyone!

HAPPY THANKSGIVING!

There are so many things I'm thankful for today I feel one day is not enough to say them all. I read a little history of the first thanksgiving to both my classes yesterday and made them write what they're thankful for--and many of them said me! That I was a good teacher and helped them understand things! It's so good to hear that because I know I often suck at classroom management and that there are far better teachers out there, but at least they're learning something! After school we had Performance Club; one of our plays is a Nigerian tall tale called "Master Man." I re-wrote the lyrics to "Nowhere Man" so it fit the play and the kids love it! (I'm doing three plays with them and all have an accompanying Beatles/member of the Beatles song--"The Hidden One," a Native American Cinderella story goes with "All You Need Is Love," and the Buddhist story, "How Violence Is Ended" goes perfectly with "Imagine") Anyway, yesterday, after a very encouraging rehearsal of "Master Man" in which I hardly had to remind the students of their blocking and one of my most struggling students was the first to be 100% off-book!, another of my students began to sing the chorus of "Master Man/Nowhere Man" with his own lyrics: "Miss Swanson, you're the greatest, you're the prettiest . . ."
That's where I cut him off and laughingly sent him home, but I sure am thankful for all of those moments yesterday.

I'm thankful for a nice RPCV who invited us over for Thanksgiving dinner, and I'm thankful to be sharing my grandma's corn casserole with my compatriots today.

I'm thankful for Skype allowing me to spend Thanksgiving with my family! And most of all I'm thankful for my friends and family.

No comments:

Post a Comment